An article in a recent issue of the AMA News points out an embarrassing problem facing the medical industry. Its own members — medical doctors and medical health care workers — are failing to getting vaccinated, even though they urge the public to do so. The problem is getting to severe that some medical organizations are suggesting the vaccines be a mandatory condition for employment.
The April 1, 2010 issue of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report found that, as of mid-January, only 37.1% of health professionals had gotten their influenza A (H1N1) vaccine — and only two-thirds thought the shot was safe.
Although 80.9% said they felt the seasonal flu vaccine (as opposed to the H1N1) was safe, only 61.9% had received their 2009-10 vaccine.
“A concern about side effects is one reason health care employees decline vaccines…” reported Christine S. Moyer in the AMA News article, posted online Sept. 13, 2010.”Other reasons include fear of contracting an influenza or influenza-like illness from the immunization, perceived ineffectiveness of the vaccine and a belief that the flu is not a severe disease.”
The medical response was to consider forcing health care workers to subject themselves to the vaccine shot in order to keep their jobs. “Despite educational efforts, we have 40% to 70% immunization rates that are woefully inadequate,” said Michael L. Butera, MD, an alternate member of the AMA House of Delegates who spoke on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America at the AMA meeting last year. He suggested that mandates may be “the only way to achieve” the goal of universal vaccination. At that time, the AMA chose to vote against the mandate but may reconsider at this year’s meeting.
The fact that the medical industry feels it has the right to tell people what drugs they MUST take in order to hold a job, attend school or engage in certain activities infuriates me, and scares me as well. Where do we draw the line in the sand and say “no more!”? When are we going to insist that we be allowed to make our own decisions about our health care?
I urge everyone to join a vaccine awareness organization such as the National Vaccine Information Center and do whatever you can to raise awareness of the vaccine issue and work to safeguard our right to control our own bodies!
By Terry A. Rondberg, DC
The medical and pharmaceutical industries are highly motivated to push for vaccine usage to gain more power and earn more money. But they are equally motivated to pressure the chiropractic profession, by dictating to doctors of chiropractic how they can and cannot practice, and making it difficult (if not impossible) for patients to choose chiropractic care.
We’ve been in denial too long, convinced that this cannot happen, but we must face reality NOW. It is happening and the situation is deteriorating. Unless the trend reverses, chiropractors can face criminal charges and jail time for providing subluxation correction, caring for asymptomatic patients, and adjusting anyone under age 18.
Let’s be honest! I am unsure if we can act at this point because it may be too late. But I certainly will continue trying to stop this train until I take my last breath.
The first item on our agenda is to dig deep inside ourselves and find the courage to take a stand and act. This isn’t easy or without risk. The World Chiropractic Alliance has discovered this during its two decades of taking bold stands. But we’re not here to win popularity contests with the medical industry or acceptance by the pharmaceutical companies. We’re here to fight for our right to practice chiropractic. We can accomplish this by conducting the following:
- Educate the public. Tell the chiropractic story loudly and often. Write letters to your newspaper editors explaining why people should protest forced vaccines. Get the facts from the World Chiropractic Alliance (www.worldchiropracticalliance.org) or NVIC (www.nvic.org) websites and widely distribute the information. Include vaccine facts in your office newsletters.
- Fund the NVIC. Provide a generous donation to the National Vaccine Information Center (www.nvic.org). They are the most valuable resource we have for educating the public and fighting mandatory vaccines.
- Support chiropractic research. The lack of scientific evidence is the top criticism against chiropractic. Support research journals like the Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research (www.jvsr.com) or research and clinical science projects. If we can prove that chiropractic helps strengthen the immune system, we can offer it as a scientifically proven natural alternative to vaccines.
- Donate to the Chiropractic Anti Defamation Fund. Help pay for efforts to raise awareness about chiropractic and fight attacks directed towards the profession. Visit the CADF online donation page.
- Join the WCA. If you’re a member of another chiropractic organization, ask if it’s doing enough to fight for you and your patients’ rights. If you are not a member of any group then it’s time to take a stand on the issues and become a chiropractic “freedom fighter.”
Take action NOW. You will not be able to do so once you are behind bars.